Friday, January 22, 2010

Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through His Son's Addiction

Beautiful boy is a memoir by David Sheff. In it he talks about his journey in dealing with his son's addiction to Methamphetamine. The story takes you all the way from Nick's(the author's son) early childhood to the present time. Throughout the book you see the downward spiral Nick's life takes, as well as the emotional toll it takes on his father. This book was both extremely sad and emotionally moving. Although I am not a parent myself, and am far from being so, Mr. Sheff's writing allowed for me to easily empathize with his painful experience. Another thing that I found striking about this memoir was the honesty it was written with. David makes seemingly little effort to try and portrait himself in a more positive light, and rather reflects honestly and openly on the mistakes he made as a father. These mistakes include such things as agreeing to do drugs with his drug-addicted son. The one issue that I had with the book is the reading level. I found that this book was not very challenging, although that is more a criticism of my reading choices than of David Sheff's writing I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment